"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord's people who are in need. Practice hospitality."

-Romans 12:12-13

Friday, July 8, 2011

Family, Waterfalls and Fireworks

So the first weekend in July Christopher, Opus, and I headed to Fall Creek Falls State Park to attend a family reunion. I was really excited because I haven't been to a family reunion in a while and the last few times I have seen my extended family has been at funerals (no fun)...also I was excited because Chris had never been to Fall Creek Falls. I have been many times and I love going to the park. I would go with the Jr. High Youth Group, for Family Reunions, with my parents camping, etc, etc.
So on Friday my family (mom, dad, kiddos, Nonna, Bubba, Jennifer, Matt, Ellie, and Amelia) had decided to divide the trip up some and stop in Huntsville to eat lunch. Since they had space in the vans Chris and I decided we would just ride with them. So my dad, Jennifer, baby girls, Bekah, Anna, and Matt were in one van, and my mom, Nonna, Bubba, Daniel, Chris, and I were in the second van. My Memaw and Pappaw were driving my great-grandmother Mamaw up from Memphis to meet up with us there. 
Opus and Chris in the van heading out of the apartment complex.

While we were driving in the mountains, Daniel got a little carsick. He kept saying he had butterflies in his stomach that were trying to get out. While not feeling well he asked Chris if he could hold "Elvis". Apparently he meant "Opus" and he said that holding Opus helped calm his butterflies down!
Daniel and "Elvis"
When we got to the place we were staying the family had rented a conference room for us. We had lots of games and area to just sit and chat. The first night the South Carolina crew busted out a 1000 piece puzzle. I am terrible at puzzles, but Chris likes them. He hasn't done one in a while and I think he really enjoyed doing them again. I had a great time too (even if I didnt put in many pieces). My dad tried to help out too!
Chris working on the puzzle.

Dad found a piece to put together!
My dad likes to get up early and go walking, especially on trips like this one. So a group of us had decided we were going to take a little hike the next morning. However the next morning the youngings decided they wanted to sleep so it was just me, my dad, Chris, and Pappaw. We decided on a bike trail that lead to the overview of Fall Creek Falls (waterfall). It was a 2 mile walk/hike there and then 2 miles back. We figured that 4 miles would be a good start to the morning....but by the end of our day I was regretting it!
Fall Creek Falls from the overview!

The "men" Chris, Dad, Pappaw

Chris and I at the Fall Creek Falls overview.

Me and dad drinking some water at the 2 mile mark. 
So when we got back from our walk, everyone was still in bed...go figure :) But we got the kiddos up and fed so we could head to the Cane Creek Falls Cascades (aka the Cascades). We ended up having a good group of us to go----Pappaw, Dad, Chris, Matt, Daniel, Jennifer, Me, Bekah, Anna, Ellie, and Amelia. So off to the Cascades we headed. Now its a nice little walk (down ALL stairs) to get to the bottom, which isn't that bad going down...but coming back up was NO FUN, especially after walking on slippery rocks and trying to keep your balance...you dont realize how much of your leg muscles you use.  What's great about the cascades is that you can slide down the rocks which is a TON of fun! Little Ellie was a little skeptical at first, but she loved it! It took Amelia the longest to warm up to the water, but she did and her and I played and splashed in the water a good bit!
Daniel with the cascades behind him.

All the kiddos- Daniel, Ellie, Bekah, Matt, Anna, and Amelia

Me and Bear.

Me and Chris

Sliding down the cascades- Bekah and Ellie

Sweet Ellie! She loved the cascades and  the slides!
The Cane Creek Falls cascades flow down to Cane Creek Falls. We decided to head over to the top of the falls. It was a lot of fun because there are all these little fish in the shallow water and Ellie and Anna tried to catch them. My mom and Nonna had come earlier and picked up Amelia and Pappaw, Matt, and Daniel had decided to go check out a rope bridge above the cascades. So the rest of the group headed to see the top of the waterfall!
Dad and Chris on the edge of Cane Creek Falls.

Standing above the waterfall- Dad, Ellie, Chris, Anna, Bekah, Bear, and Me.

Chris and I on the edge of Cane Creek Falls. 
So after we left the cascades we headed back to the Inn for lunch. After lunch we decided we would go hike to the bottom of Fall Creek Falls. The hike down isn't terrible, but there is not really a designated trail....its all rocks and bumpy ground. Here is the state parks description of the .4 mile hike -
 Base of Fall Creek Falls Trail: ...a steep trail to the bottom of the falls. At the Falls Overlook, the trail to the left continues to the plunge pool of Fall Creek Falls. This trail winds through ancient layers of rock while experiencing the cool temperatures and looming trees of a virgin forest as it descends through the Fall Creek Gorge to the base of the Falls and magnificent view of the tumbling waters. It is only .4mi to the base, but then it is a long .4mi back to the top. Be sure and rest, hiking is not a contest. Stay on the trail. Do not shortcut the switchbacks.
Trust me the way up is HORRIBLE! I mean I would do it again, but after doing 4 miles that morning, walking (and falling) on the cascades rocks, walking up a bizzilion steps to get to the parking lot at the cascades, my legs were KILLING! Also I failed to mention that since my dad couldnt find the parking lot at the top of Fall Creek Falls we decided to park next to the trail we walked earlier and walk another .4 miles just to get to the top of the falls. 
Part of the trail to the falls. 

Chris and I on the trail down to the falls. 

Made it to the falls. Then we hiked down to the water.
Once we got to the base of the falls we went swimming. Now this water is COLD and I mean COLD! But I mean who doesn't want to go sit underneath a waterfall? Especially since it is the highest waterfall East of the Rocky Mountains. It is 256 feet high! The water stings a little when you are sitting underneath the fall so we didn't sit there too long! But Chris did win the $5 beat by being the first of our group underneath the fall. The water was soooo cold that it took us all a while to try to get "used to it". 
After our hike back up the fall and back to the car, I was spent! We headed back for dinner- We were having a family picnic so I was excited about getting to spend some more time with the extended family. We had hamburgers and hotdogs and we were right next to the playground so the kiddos could play!
Dad and Chris @ the picnic.

Me and Bubba at the picnic

Ellie playing beanbag toss!
 After dinner we headed back to the Inn and we finished that puzzle! The next morning my legs were SCREAMING at me. I almost fell getting out of the bed. They were so stiff from all the walking and hiking from the day before. We hung around the Inn a little and said goodbye to some of the extended family that was leaving. We grabbed a picture of my cousin Dan and his fiance Ashley before they headed out. Wish I had gotten some more photos of some of the other family :( Guess we will have to do it again soon!
Me with Dan and Ashley. 
That afternoon we tried to go rent bikes, but the park had decided not to rent bikes anymore so we just hung out in the little village for a while. After lunch a group of us decided to head to George's Hole. We swam there for a little while and then headed to the Nature Center before heading over to the bridge that goes over the cascades. The bridge scares me. It shakes, its suspended, and it sways. While crossing the bridge I was following Ellie who wanted to walk over by herself. She was such a big girl the bridge didnt bother her at all! Me, it was a bit crazy!
The Bridge.

Bekah, Daniel, and Ellie about to cross the bridge.

Ellie walking over the bridge all by herself!
Well that night we started a second 1000 piece puzzle and right was we started the power went out!!! Luckily they had the power back on in about 30minuts to an hour so we were able to get a good bit of the puzzle completed. However at 11:30 we called it quits since we were leaving in the morning. The next morning we got up and while the adults were running around packing stuff up Opus decided he wanted to take some pictures.
Below are few of the ones that he took!
On the back patio with the lake behind him.

Squirrel!

Another view from the patio.
 After a while we decided we would take some pictures with him out by the lake!
Me and Opus.

Opus with Chris and I

Down by the lake

Opus sandwich!

Opus saw some fishies when down by the lake.

Next thing we knew he was diving in!
Once Opus finished playing in the lake it was about time to leave so we took the camera inside to get a group photo with Memaw and Pappaw. 
Memaw and Pappaw with grandkids and great-grandkids (not all of them)
Bubba, Matt, Me, Opus, Pappaw, Ellie, Chris, Anna, Jennifer, Daniel, Bekah, Amelia, Memaw. 

Me and my Memaw.
And then we were off. Before dropping Chris and I off at our apartment we stopped at Cracker Barrel for lunch and some checkers!
Daniel and I playing checkers!
That night Chris, Opus, and I headed towards Bridgestreet/US Space and Rocket Center for the fireworks show. We watched some fireworks and really enjoyed them! I always wished that they would last longer and be more of them....but then again I am not paying for them so I take what I can get....
Chris and Opus before heading to see the fireworks

Opus with his flag ready for the fireworks

Hot and sweaty but excited about the firework show.

fireworks!

Happy Birthday America!!
Well thats all for now! Hope you all had a great fourth of July! 

1 comment:

  1. wow! I love family trips and this looks like it was an amazing one!
    I also had a wonderful fourth of July and I'm glad you did too!! :)


    love, Lulu

    Notes She Wrote

    ReplyDelete