"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord's people who are in need. Practice hospitality."

-Romans 12:12-13

Thursday, April 14, 2011

To Charles.

This past weekend one of my great uncles went to be with Jesus. In the last 10 or so years I have come to know Charles and I have learned to realize how great a man he was. He will be terribly missed.
While reading his obituary( http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Charles-Heinz&lc=2230&pid=150122161&mid=4627997&locale=en-US )  I learned that Charles was the 2nd artist to record with Stax Records. Pretty cool huh? I thought so! Its crazy how much you can learn about someone once they have moved on. I found this song of his on YouTube.
I couldnt believe that was Charles! I mean Charles was known for his voice and that man could sing his heart out, but I didnt realize that he had recorded a "pop" song in the late 50s early 60s. It was just a really cool thing for me to find.

If you had ever heard Charles sing in church, than you may be familar with the song "The Anchor Holds" I remember riding in the car with my mom and listening to him sing this song on cassette tape over and over. Even at a young age I thought this song was very special. However the song that will always remind me of Charles and that I will always get goosebumps listening to is "I Bowed On My Knees and Cried Holy". The last few nights I have heard him singing that song over and over in my head. They choose to let Charles do the music at his own funeral and they ended the funeral with that song. As I sat there and listened to him singing those words about entering Heaven I just kept thinking that is what he is doing at this moment. Needless to say I got chills and goosebumps through the entire song.

If you have never heard song I have put the lyrics below. I am working on getting a copy of Charles singing the song and once I get it I will post it as well.

"I dreamed of a city called Glory,
So bright and so fair.
When I entered that gate I cried, "Holy"
The angels all met me there:
They carried me from mansion to mansion,
And oh what sights I saw.
But I said, " I want to see Jesus,
He's the One who died for all."

Then I bowed on my knees and cried,
"Holy, Holy, Holy."
Then I clapped my hands and sang, "Glory,
Glory to the Son of God."
I sang Glory to the Son of God.

I thought as I entered that city,
My loved ones all knew me well.
They showed me the streets of Heaven;
Each scenes to numerous to tell.

I saw Abraham, Issac, and Jacob,
Mark, Luke, and Timothy.
But I said, " I want to see Jesus,
For He's the One who died for me."


Then I bowed on my knees and cried, 
"Holy, Holy, Holy."
Then I clapped my hands and sang, "Glory,
Glory, Glory"
Then I clapped my hands and sang, "Glory,
Glory to the Son of God."


I sang "Glory to the Son of God".

If you have never heard the song it is amazing! And it was the perfect song to end Charles' funeral since he was in Heaven singing "Glory" to his Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment